Food Service Work-Lead
Department Description: The Food Services Department is a dynamic place to work where our top priority is serving high quality, delicious food with caring service. We take pride in feeding our patients, visitors and hospital staff members every day while exhibiting our CARES culture of Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Enthusiasm and Service. We strive to reach high levels of satisfaction and measure this through Press Ganey and retail satisfaction surveys. The department works to continuously improve in all areas of our operation and our frontline team members regularly provide solutions to help us succeed. Ensuring food safety and a safe work environment are a central focus for our team and everyone plays a role in achieving positive results.
The position hours within the department vary but operations begin at 5:30 am and end at 11:30 pm 365 days per year. Weekends and holidays are rotated between all staff and everyone is an essential employee expected to arrive for their shifts during emergency essential situations including inclement weather.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 37583BR
Job Summary: Functions as a working leader in the Food Service department. Leads employees to exceed customer expectations; ensures quality food products are being served in a timely fashion; manages cash operations, and maintains appropriate levels of cleanliness.
- Issues cash drawers and change. Verifies cash drawers at the end of shifts and pulls deposits. Compiles cash drawer deposits and prepares bank deposit. Audits safe on a daily basis. Operates cash register as needed. Conducts regular cash pulls from the register. Prints cash reports from the registers (sales, menu mix, hourly detail).
- Oversees a high level of cleanliness throughout the kitchen, servery and dining areas during peak periods. Ensures that all food, beverages, and supplies are stocked neatly and in plentiful quantity. Ensures consistent quality of food. Complies with all HACCP policies and procedures including allergen awareness.
- May perform manager's customer service duties in the absence of a manager. Monitoring employee productivity and provides suggestions for increased service or productivity in addition to day to day assignments. Addresses minor performance issues and reports all issues to managers.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of all kitchen and cafeteria positions in order to direct employees or perform duties. Ensures all service areas and trayline stations are staffed appropriately. Monitors the completion of job duties and special assignments for all food service employees.
- Assists in ensuring a safe working environment throughout the facility for employees. Reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
- Some High School required. Vocational or Technical training in Food Service Management preferred.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Two years experience working in a high-volume food service establishment.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Serve Safe certification.
- Experience in a hospital setting.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.