Financial Assistant Associate
Department Description: Position is located on East campus of medical center and supports financial counseling.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 36232BR
Job Summary: Responsible for the quality and integrity of patient demographics, insurance information, and completion of MSP, IM and general agreement forms and the processing of all applicable Virtual Gateway applications. Arranges payment collections for self-pay collections.
- Reviews all demographic and insurance information on patients that are admitted to assigned inpatient units.
- Obtains all applicable signatures at time of admission and completing all applicable questionnaires.
- Screens all un/underinsured patients for insurance coverage. If applicable completes a Virtual Gateway application for State assistance programs. Documents in CCC that an application has been submitted and does the necessary follow up to ensure all supporting documentation is submitted.
- Is a point of contact for Case Management and Social Services for assigned inpatient floors.
- Communicates effectively with the Authorization Unit on insurance changes and updates the system and prints a new face sheet.
- Makes necessary referrals to outside agency's to complete Long Term, Disability and out of state Medicaid applications.
- When a patient is deemed self- pay works with appropriate staff in the department to prepare self- pay estimate for services being rendered.
- High School diploma or GED required. Associate's degree preferred.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Solid knowledge of managed care rules and regulations, medical terminology, ICD 9 and CPT codes. This knowledge is generally acquired through a minimum of 2-3 years hospital revenue cycle experience.
- A strong working knowledge of all state-funded insurance product offerings, coordination of benefits and payer requirements.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Prior experience processing virtual gateway applications preferred.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus