Executive Director, EHR Epic & Clinical Services
Department Description: The Executive Director, EHR-Epic & Clinical Services is a member of the BILH IT Leadership team reporting to the VP, EHR Ambulatory & webOMR and will be assigned as a Business Relationship Liaison (BRL) at BIDMC and possibly other business units within the system. The BRL is expected to foster executive level communication and collaboration in service of the IT business goals. Responsibilities include the development and implementation of the Epic EHR system at BIDMC for patient care/clinical and/or administrative applications and maintaining the existing webOMR EHR as the transition is made.
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 46905BR
Job Summary: The Executive Director provides leadership, promotes collaboration, ensures customer satisfaction, and promotes strong team cohesion and positive morale. Possesses a strong understanding of the EHR system and healthcare landscape. In addition to working on mission-critical enterprise and departmental systems, projects/installations may encompass work across all divisions of BILH. Provides leadership that promotes collaboration, ensures customer satisfaction, and results in tangible improvements in the success and acceptance of BILH IT EHR system at the assigned site. Operates and manages with financial responsibility and adherence to the BILH IT mission and vision.
- The Executive Director leads the team responsible for the maintenance and support of the assigned EHR system, application and infrastructure teams, as well as all additional clinical and business systems to support business operations.
- Provides leadership and guidance to teams across the organization on EHR products and process to accomplish the strategic goals of the organization. Directs the implementation of strategic EHR applications and related solutions. Contributes to strategic direction and oversight for the design, development, operation and support of EHR systems that fulfill business needs.
- In addition to the functional EHR responsibilities you may be assigned as a Business Relationship Liaison (BRL) to specific hospital entities or business units within the system to foster executive level communication and collaboration in service of the IT business goals
- Responsible for working on resource allocation within direct org chart. Partners with IT senior leadership and other EHR leaders to understand and impact prioritization; understands level of effort related to projects and objectives.
- Supports EHR application projects, day to day operations and break fix issues across BILH.
- Serves on hospital planning and policymaking committees as assigned by Service Line VP; assures EHR function matches policies set for the organization; assures organization is prepared for CMS, Joint Commission, DPH, CAP and other regulatory surveys.
- Has the authority to direct and support managers with functional area responsibilities. Has the direct responsibility to undertake the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: None Indirect Reports: 21-50
- Has full responsibility for planning, monitoring and managing department budget.
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree preferred.
- More than 10 years related work experience required and 5-8 years supervisory/management experience required
- Proven ability to instill trust and confidence amongst Senior IT and Senior entity leaders resulting in superior communication and collaboration in accomplishing the strategic goals in a multi-hospital health system such as BILH.
- Possess strong skills and technical capabilities in several IT domains. Solution oriented with proven experience leveraging strong technical skills to ideate, identify, explain, advocate, and express solution options, recommendations and facts for complex issues in a convincing manner in order to achieve results across BILH.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Epic experience is strongly preferred.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions with significant, broad implications for the management and operations of a major department or multiple departments. Participates in decisions on overall strategy and direction of the organization.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are broad, complex and abstract, often involving Medical Center-wide issues and requiring substantial creativity, resourcefulness, staff engagement, Lean diagnostic techniques, negotiation and diplomacy to develop solutions.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and priorities for functional area. May make recommendations for department policies, practices and programs. Manager or Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate complex information in English effectively in writing to all levels of staff, management and external customers across functional areas.
- Oral Communications: Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to lead and direct multiple collaborative teams for large projects or groups both internal and external to the Medical Center and across functional areas. Results have significant implications for the management and operations of the organization.
- Customer Service: Ability to lead operational initiatives to meet or exceed customer service standards and expectations in assigned unit(s) and/or across multiple areas in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.