Endoscope Reprocessing Technician III
Department Description: We are seeking a full time Endoscope Reprocessing Technician III working 40hrs/wk, requiring on call, rotating weekends and holidays to support the GI Unit.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 28758BR
Job Summary: Provides on-site support for the reprocessing of flexible endoscopes and related devices and equipment Gastroenterology Endoscopy procedural areas in compliance with manufacturers' instructions and or hospital policy.
The Endoscope Reprocessor Technician (ERT) III is certified in scope reprocessing. He or she will contribute to safe, quality and fiscally responsible cleaning of endoscopes per manufacturer and organizational instructions and adhere to all infection control policies at BIDMC. The ERT III is a proficient practitioner who practices consistently with occasional guidance and direction, asking for assistance when necessary or in new situations. He or she mentors and precepts others. Is able to functions as a resource.
- Maintains inventory of endoscopic and reprocessing equipment and supplies par levels in collaboration with the Materials Management Coordinator. Recognizes and reports problems related to equipment or supplies. Assists Clinical Advisor/Materials Management Coordinator in reviewing and updating supply lists, preferences, and other applicable equipment.
- Performs safety checks to verify proper equipment functioning and reports malfunctioning equipment to appropriate vendor rep and or resource.
- Maintains, audits and verifies compliance with all appropriate logbook entries.
- Cleans, disinfects, or calibrates scopes or other endoscopic instruments according to manufacturer recommendations, facility standards and Infection Control guidelines. Recognizes and reports problems with endoscopes and equipment related to reprocessing and breaks in Infection Control guidelines to the Nursing Director.
- Maintains endoscopic and reprocessing equipment for optimal functionality and coordinates repairs as needed, according to facility policy and procedure.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Certificate 1 Cer Endoscopy Reprocessor required.
- 1-3 years related work experience required in a minimum of 2 years of Endoscope Tech experience.
- CER certification must be maintained for employment.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Heavy work: Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 50 pounds of force frequently. Work is physically demanding and requires extended periods of standing and/or moving.