Endoscope Reprocessing Technician I
Department Description: High volume GI Endoscopy procedural unit. Scope Reprocessing Tech is responsible for high level disinfection of endoscopes per specific IFU, TJC and AAMI Standards. Full training provided. IAHCSMM CER or CBSPD C.F.E.R. preferred but not a requirement for employment. The applicant must be able to work collaboratively in teams within the scope cleaning rooms and within the unit in assisting with turn over of procedure rooms as needed.
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 42882BR
Job Summary: Provides on-site support for the reprocessing of flexible endoscopes and related devices and equipment Gastroenterology Endoscopy procedural areas in compliance with manufacturers' instructions and or hospital policy.
The Endoscope Reprocessor Technician (ERT) I is a beginner reprocessor who is encouraged to obtain certification within first year of employment but not earlier than 6 months of employment as an ERT. He or she will contribute to safe, quality and fiscally responsible cleaning of endoscopes per manufacturer and organizational instructions and adhere to all infection control policies at BIDMC. The ERT I is a novice who practices with maximal guidance and direction initially and emerges from orientation practicing at the advanced beginner level independently.
- Maintains inventories of endoscopic and reprocessing equipment and supplies.
- Performs safety checks to verify proper equipment functioning.
- Maintains and verifies compliance with all appropriate logbook entries.
- Cleans, disinfects, or calibrates scopes or other endoscopic instruments according to manufacturer recommendations and facility standards and Infection Control guidelines.
- Maintains endoscopic and reprocessing equipment for optimal functionality and coordinates repairs as needed, according to facility policy and procedure.
- Able to articulate understanding of policies and procedures of the department. Must also have understanding of the AAMI standards to reference and apply this knowledge as it pertains to scope reprocessing. Adheres to BIDMC Infection Control policies related to scope reprocessing.
- Participates in in-services and educational offerings as well as maintains compliance with assigned educational training.
- Assists and coordinates with nursing in other areas of the department and performs additional duties as necessary.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- CER certification highly encouraged.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Heavy work: Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 50 pounds of force frequently. Work is physically demanding and requires extended periods of standing and/or moving.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement