EMG Technician - Senior
Department Description: The Department of Neurology provides world-class care to help patients with neurological disorders. Whether our experts are treating a common condition or a complex disease, every patient receives personalized care, access to the latest therapies informed by ground-breaking research and the benefit of state-of-the-art technological procedures.
Our experts provide care for Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s, stroke and other neurological conditions with a multidisciplinary approach in collaboration with experts across BIDMC.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 30229BR
Job Summary: Conducts neuromuscular examinations as instructed by physician. Interprets the results and performs appropriate electrodiagnostic studies as determined by the neuromuscular examination. Supervises EMG Technician.
- Outlines the nature of the procedures and tests with the patient. Answers questions patients may have as to hazards or discomforts presented by the test or procedures. Records pertinent history of the patient's primary symptoms. Performs a portion of the neuromuscular examination as requested by physician.
- Determines the most appropriate and specific electrodiagnostic studies to perform based on the preceding neuromuscular examination. Specializes in techniques of nerve conduction including unusual techniques i.e., cranial nerve studies and neuromuscular transmission)
- Trains EMG Technician in the area of nerve conduction studies, EMG data compilation, lab and electrode cleaning.
Orients and trains medical residents on nerve conduction studies. Confirms that studies performed by resident are performed to established standards.
- Creates new electrodiagnostic programming for EMG equipment. Prepares a summary report of the electrophysiological data. Compiles representative original recordings. Assists with gathering important data to help prepare projected fiscal budgets based on analysis of previous years' actual budget and spending.
- Participates in continuing education programs and workshops, reviews and keeps abreast of anatomical, clinical or electrophysiological publications. May also participate in writing articles and presenting lectures on the study of electromyography. Contributes to seminar preparation for EMG rounds. Collects data through testing and compiles databases with information for research purposes.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- 3 years of experience in electrodiagnostic medicine technology or successful completion of AAET registry or five (5) years of experience in electrodiagnostic medicine technology and continuing education with intent and eligibility for successful completion of registry examinations.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and determines how to accomplish defined results with some guidelines. Manager/Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.