Emergency Services Dispatcher
Department Description: BIDMC’s new hospital-based ambulance service, serving our level one trauma center with approximately 12,000 intra-facility trips annually. Work is prioritized by our own hospital-based ambulance dispatch and is a combination of intra-facility transfers and discharges. This is a collaborative effort with two outside hospital vendors.
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 42745BR
Job Summary: Receives and assigns ambulance dispatch requests from within Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Boston to appropriate ambulance service. Ensures efficient response to ambulance requests. Responsible for safe transport of patients to their correct destination, and appropriate documentation of services. Facilitates and coordinates with appropriate teams. Maintains accurate records of all Ambulance traffic within the hospital. Utilization of telephone console, Motorola handsets for C-MED communications, and Motorola CDM series two-way radio system. Maximizes utilization of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Ambulances Services and the ambulances assigned to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center from contracted providers. Familiarity with Massachusetts O.E.M.S. statewide ALS/BLS and ALS interfacility transfer treatment protocols.
- Answers the phone with Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center greeting and dispatches ambulance services prioritizing needs of the requesting department. Answers the phone line using proper, professional radio etiquette and directs calls appropriately. Dispatches requests for Advanced Life Support/Basic Life Support and immediately dispatches available ALS/BLS units.
- Enters and tracks appropriate information in the computer system. Each call is logged on daily log/Autocad system immediately after received from computer. Utilizes GPS system to locate and dispatch closest and most appropriate ambulance.
- Receives incoming ambulance requests and prioritizes calls from services/floor and assigns to appropriate ambulance service.
- Clarifies instructions and coordinates services with requester.
- Ensures all Beth Israel Deaconess ambulances on duty and all vehicles subcontracted the hospital have appropriate assignments.
- Schedules transport of patients in a timely manner.
- Notifies departments of patient departure times.
- Reports issues, problems, etc., to supervisor/manager as needed.
- Assists in obtaining coverage for sick calls in the absence of supervisor/manager.
- Attends mandatory in-services as required by Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
Is courteous and professional at all times.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Previous hospital telecommunications experience
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Emergency Medical Services experience.
- Geographical knowledge of surrounding area preferred. GPS locator software preferred.
- Knowledge of Emergency Medical Dispatch and Ambulance Communications preferred.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement