Department Description: Maintenance employees are required to respond to emergencies such as floods, power outages, etc during off shift hours if asked to do so by department supervisors. Snow removal is also the responsibility of the Maintenance Operations Department and all Maintenance employees are required to participate in the snow removal process.
Maintenance Operations inspires a dedicated team of professionals whose goal is to provide a well maintained, safe and appealing facility and environment while meeting regulatory requirements. Our main objective is to resolve problems and provide timely response to meet our customers’ needs. We focus on providing a high level of customer service in order to meet the needs of our patients, visitors and staff and the community while gaining their respect by providing prompt and efficient response to their maintenance requests. We continually evaluate our activities and focus our attention on achieving top performance in all areas of our responsibility.
Shift for this position is Tuesday-Saturday; 3:00pm-11:00pm. Training will be day shift, 6:55am-3:25pm.
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 42859BR
Job Summary: Provides general electrical maintenance, repair, and installation of building electrical systems equipment. Ensures scheduled maintenance tasks and repairs as part of the Maximo System.
- Ensures the care and proper use of hand and power tools and building materials intended for the repair of valuable clinical, research, and plant equipment including piping, controls and the operation of institutional electrical systems.
- Performs the installation and maintenance of all electrical wiring, devices, and components common to building operations. Operates, installs, repairs, and maintains electrical equipment such as emergency generators, transformers, switchboards, controllers, circuit protection, motors, lighting, conduit systems, and other current carrying equipment.
- Utilizes blueprints and specifications. Locates and diagnoses electrical troubles. Estimates loads, requirements and materials for repairs and installations.
- Performs general building maintenance, repairs, moves, housekeeping, snow removal, or other work related to building operations, as determined by the manager.
- Utilizes computer software to oversee and maintain Prieumatic Tube System, Maximo System and other electrical monitoring equipment.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- License JOUR - Electrician required.
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- Graduate of a High school or technical school, and apprenticeship.
- Three to five years experience in industrial or institutional maintenance, or institutional construction. Familiarity with mechanical and electrical equipment associated with healthcare facilities, blueprint reading, and electrical materials estimating.
- Massachusetts Journeyman Electrician License.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement