Department Description: Transporting patients and staff as well as picking up and delivering Specimen and other sensitive material.
Must be able to lift / carry in excess of 30 lbs. CDL License with passenger endorsement required.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 41522BR
Job Summary: Reporting to the Supervisor of Mail and Motor Services, this position is responsible for the safe operation of a van, mini-van, truck, or bus to transport employees, volunteers, patients, and visitors. Responsibilities also include pick up and delivery of mail, specimens, equipment, etc. as scheduled or instructed by the Supervisor, Mail & Motor Services, or Director of Hospitality Services/ Parking & Commuter Service Operations.
- Adheres to all state and federal motor carrier guidelines (including DOT safety regulations) as well as all department and Medical Center policies and procedures.
- Picks up and delivers the following items: Specimen to and from medical facilities; Incoming mail from the Post Office; Third party reimbursement documents, payroll, data processing tapes, and other documents; Supplies & equipment from each campus and off site locations as needed; PAT charts; Birth registration forms to Boston City Hall; T-Pass distribution.
- Transports employees to and from various satellite parking lots after 7pm; Ambulatory patients to and from Ulin House, South Cove, Chelsea, for appointments; Volunteers to and from Ulin House; Patients and employees between East and West Campus.
- Conducts daily vehicle and periodic inspections to ensure operability; report all necessary vehicle repairs to Supervisor. Completes accurate daily and periodic inspection records; fill out incident reports as necessary.
- Performs routine maintenance as outlined by vehicle's manufacturer and in conjunction with the Supervisor. Brings vehicles to repair shops as directed. Routine maintenance includes: Fuel fill up, oil change, tire changes, windshield wipers, transmission fluid, general interior cleaning, mirrors, jump starts,
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- CDL license with passenger endorsement preferred.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement