Department Description: Seeking Full-time Medical Dosimetrist for Radiation Treatment Planning at BIDMC in Boston. IRMT QA responsibility is a must.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 40729BR
Job Summary: The Dosimetrist reports to the Chief of Treatment Planning. This position is responsible for supporting the ongoing mission of the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center to provide high quality, state of the art patient care.
- Provides radiation treatment planning services for external beam irradiation. Generates graphically planned cases(3D conformal, IMRT and electron)a multi-faceted process based on volumetric image representation of the patient, that results in an accurate representation of the dose distribution in the patient based on the physician's prescription. Monitors correct implementation of treatment plan.
- Creates the parameters and dosimetry for those patients treated on a machine that supports a multi-leaf collimation system and/ or dynamic wedges. Enters all dosimetric parameters in the record and verify system. Assists therapists in the set-up(at first treatment)regarding patient treatment plan implementation and/or set-up. Provides quality assurance of patient treatment with weekly chart check
- Designs beam modifying devices such as special compensators, beam filters, and custom electron molds. Assist in construction of patient specific immobilization devices to ensure correct patient set-up and treatment.
- Teaches Radiation Therapy students, residents, and other staff members.Consults with physicians or therapists on planning methodologies. Participates in Radiation Treatment planning committees designed to improve patient care and treatment.
- Occasional IMRT QA necessary.
- Bachelor's degree in Medical Dosimetry or associated science required. Bachelor's degree in med. dosimetry, math, physics, biology preferred.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Experience in 3D treatment planning concepts.
- Experience in IMRT treatment planning concepts.
- Advanced technical computer skills as required for technical support specific to functional area and related systems.
- CMD (MDCB) board certification in Medical Dosimetry
- Registered radiation therapists and/or ABR/ABMP certified candidates will also be considered.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement