Director - Marketing & Communications
Department Description: This role is providing support on the Beth Israel Lahey Health Marketing and Communications team. This role specifically supports the Clinical Marketing team.
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 46109BR
Job Summary: The Director of Marketing and Communications serves as the primary interface between the Marketing & Communications Department and the executive, operational and clinical leaders at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC), including the President, Chief of Staff, Chief Operating Officer, Chief Academic Officer, and CEO of HMFP. This individual is a key strategic partner in supporting BIDMC's goals, and maintains a comprehensive understanding all aspects of BIDMC's organizational culture, business strategy, clinical service offerings, research, operations, competitive landscape and financial performance. This individual builds strong relationships with administrative leadership, attending senior management meetings to identify opportunities to advance BIDMC's reputation as a nationally recognized academic medical center, strengthen employee engagement and grow patient volume.
- Serves as primary point of contact for BIDMC, interfacing with subject-matter experts in Service Line Marketing Strategy, Digital Marketing, Marketing Research, Branding, Consumer Engagement, Media Relations and Internal Communications to ensure appropriate support of client's business objectives.
- Builds strategic relationships with BIDMC administrative, clinical and research/academic leadership. Attends and actively participates in medical center leadership meetings, providing consultation and guidance to inform priority-setting and decision-making.
- Identifies business challenges and marketing and communications opportunities based on detailed knowledge of client's organizational culture, employee engagement priorities, clinical service offerings, research competitive positioning and financial performance.
- Leads the development of strategic marketing and communications plans in support of BIDMC priorities.
- Assesses local operational processes to support system-led campaigns and initiatives, identifies workflow or access deficiencies and collaborates with medical center leaders to design and implement solutions to ensure BIDMC is prepared to support marketing campaign volume.
- Ensures the development and presentation of performance analysis and reporting for marketing and communications campaigns to senior leadership.
- Oversees the BIDMC marketing and communications team's timely management of client requests.
- Has the authority to direct and support employees daily work activities. Has the direct responsibility to undertake the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: 2-3 Indirect Reports: None
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Marketing/Communications or other related field required. Master's degree preferred.
- More than 10 years related work experience required in Health care experience strongly preferred and 0-1 years supervisory/management experience required
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal relationship skills
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Excellent market research, analytical, and problem recognition, avoidance and resolution skills
- Strong skills to produce results and achieve predetermined goals within budget and time constraints Has a strong understanding of system marketing and communications resources and how they are best deployed.
- Crisis communications experience. Health care experience strongly preferred
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions with significant, broad implications for the management and operations of a major department or multiple departments. Participates in decisions on overall strategy and direction of the organization.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are broad, complex and abstract, often involving Medical Center-wide issues and requiring substantial creativity, resourcefulness, staff engagement, Lean diagnostic techniques, negotiation and diplomacy to develop solutions.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set direction and vision for major departments or multiple departments. Establishes priorities, develops policies and allocates resources.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate broad and comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex and/or unprecedented situations across multiple functional areas.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.