Dir - Cancer Center Mktg
Department Description: The Cancer Center at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is renowned for exceptional cancer care and for pioneering discoveries that have led to powerful cancer treatment strategies. We offer the most up-to-date treatments, but we are not satisfied with the standard of care. Our physician-scientists aspire to the Standard of Cure™.
We also believe that success is measured one patient at a time. We respect the dignity, values, needs and opinions of each person we are privileged to treat. We help our patients and their families understand and weigh treatment options, and help sort through the medical and very personal decision-making process they face.
Ours is a team effort. We assemble leading experts to identify and deliver the best possible treatment plan for you. In our multidisciplinary clinics, our patients see all key specialists in one visit for easy access and coordinated planning. We offer a wide range of support services to help sustain you and your family during and after treatment.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 30323BR
Job Summary: The Marketing Director of the Cancer center plans and implements all marketing communications within one of the largest specialty programs inside the Medical Center and ensures that these efforts support and align with the overall marketing strategy of BIDMC and its growing network of affiliates.
- Analyzes branding issues and makes recommendations on how to brand comprehensive care center programs consistently within BIDMC marketing standards.
- Manages relationships with marketing and network development professionals at the BIDMC Communications Department and affiliated institutions and programs, including Cancer Center (CC) community affiliates.
- Partners with chiefs, chairs and administrative management of the comprehensive care center to plan marketing strategies and activities that promote priority clinical programs, including advertising, public relations, media opportunities, web sites, newsletters, sponsorships, events, written materials, social media and other forms of marketing communications.
- Mobilizes resources, including BIDMC Communications, Media Services, agencies, freelancers, employees and self to implement marketing programs.
- Plans/hosts events with a goal to educate consumers about their health or physicians about available patient services.
- Has the responsibility to lead and support managers and directors in developing and improving operations to create optimal performance levels. Direct Reports: None Indirect Reports: None
- Has full responsibility for planning, monitoring and managing budgets for multiple departments.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field required. Master's degree in a related field. preferred.
- 5-8 years related work experience required and 5-8 years supervisory/management experience required
- Strong writing skills. Must have a nose for news and be deadline driven.
- Minimum of five years of professional experience in marketing, branding or communications, preferably in a health care setting.
- Work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Experience in event planning.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to communicate with physicians about their clinical, academic and research activities.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions with significant, broad implications for the management and operations of a major department or multiple departments. Participates in decisions on overall strategy and direction of the organization.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are broad, complex and abstract, often involving Medical Center-wide issues and requiring substantial creativity, resourcefulness, staff engagement, Lean diagnostic techniques, negotiation and diplomacy to develop solutions.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and priorities for functional area. May make recommendations for department policies, practices and programs. Manager or Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate complex information in English effectively in writing to all levels of staff, management and external customers across functional areas.
- Oral Communications: Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate broad and comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex and/or unprecedented situations across multiple functional areas.
- Team Work: Ability to lead collaborative teams for larger projects or groups both internal and external to the Medical Center and across functional areas. Results have implications for the management and operations of multiple areas of the organization.
- Customer Service: Ability to lead operational initiatives to meet or exceed customer service standards and expectations in assigned unit(s) and/or across multiple areas in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally