Dietitian I - Inpatient
Department Description: Per Diem inpatient dietitian
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 46786BR
Job Summary: Provides optimal nutritional care to patients through assessing nutritional needs; developing, implementing, and re-evaluating nutritional care plans; and educating patients and families. The individual in this position must demonstrate appropriate knowledge of the principles of growth and development and nutrition through the lifecycle.
- Performs nutrition screening and nutritional assessments on patients according to departmental policy. Provides follow-up assessments and updates care plans as needed. Individualizes patient meal patterns and menus to comply with the diet prescription and patient preferences in conjunction with the dietetic interns. Develops and implements needed care plans.
- Works closely with dietetic interns in monitoring and assuring optimal nutrition care to all patients. Provide individualized diet instructions for patients/caretakers; conducts group classes when appropriate. Consults with nursing staff and with appropriate interdiscipliary staff on individualizing diet instructions for patients and families.
- Develops and coordinates a plan for follow-up nutritional care including completion of referrals to other agencies/facilities or a dietitian in the Medical Nutrition Therapy Clinic.
- Serves as preceptor for dietetic interns during their clinical rotations, provides feedback for program improvement and performs intern evaluations in a timely manner. Provides nutrition education/ training programs to dietetic interns, other health care professionals and the community as needed.
- Complies with and utilizes pertinent education materials, clinical forms, policies and procedures.
- Assists in developing patient education materials, clinical forms, policies and procedures. Assists in establishing standard of care for patients.
- Bachelor's degree in Nutrition required.
- License Lic. Dietitian/Nutritionist required., and Registration Registered Dietitian required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Must obtain Registered Dietitian (RD) certification within 6 months of hire and then obtain Massachusetts Dietitian/Nutritionist license (LDN) within 3 months of RD certification.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.