Desktop Support Technician
Department Description: This is a temporary position.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 27772BR
Job Summary: Responsible for maintaining the proper and on-going operational readiness of BIDMC computers, printers and peripherals, proactively maintaining equipment, identifying potential problems, resolving routine computer-related problems in a professional manner and according to established IS policies, procedures and standards.
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge and understanding of the hardware components (desktop and printer) and current operating systems (Windows and Mac), and basic networking principles to respond to and resolve problems reported by customers.
- Demonstrates communications skills required in gathering factual and accurate information from customers, peers, and other staff in order to promptly and correctly identify root cause and to support effective problem management processes. Deficits in skills or errors in troubleshooting may negatively impact productivity and access of clinical staff, patients or other BIDMC staff.
- Develops a basic understanding of network concepts and protocols, associated with basic diagnostics and response to desktop-related problems in the field and related to IP and DNS and required workstation and printer configurations.
- Acquires and demonstrates a basic working knowledge and understanding of core production applications (including but not limited to Microsoft products) and demonstrates an aptitude and willingness to acquire knowledge and understanding of BIDMC-centric clinical and specialty applications with ability to troubleshoot and resolve simple performance, access and interoperability issues.
- Develops a thorough knowledge and understanding of IS practices, policies and procedures.
- High School diploma or GED required. Vocational or Technical training preferred in Computer or Systems with emphasis on Windows-based workstations
- Certificate 1 preferred: A+ Certification
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Technical skills, knowledge and understanding of personal computers, current operating systems (Windows and Mac), hardware and peripherals, and productivity applications (MS Word, Excel, Access, Outlook and Internet Explorer); basic knowledge of networking principles related to workstation and printer configuration.
- Technical ability and proficiency in assessing and troubleshooting desktop related hardware and printer problems; good customer service skills and ability to maintain composure and professionalism during difficult customer encounters or crisis situations
- Ability to convey information in an easily understood manner and the ability to solicit and gather basic and factual information from customers/others.
- Advanced technical computer skills as required for technical support specific to functional area and related systems.
- Good organizational skills with ability to prioritize work and function in a fast-paced environment in an enthusiastic and motivated manner within a team environment.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.