Desktop Engineer III
Department Description: Position is located at 1135 Tremont St.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 39895BR
Job Summary: Leads the design and delivery of network implementation, support, migration and upgrade services to client workstations and customers.
- Contributes to the direction, planning, installation, maintenance and technical support of the CareGroup/BIDMC desktop enterprise computing environment, Windows 2008/SCCM domain.
- Reviews systems logs and reports to detect recurring slowdowns or errors performing root cause analysis and resolution and provides technical assistance by responding to inquiries from other IS teams regarding errors, problems, or technical/technology questions. Researches and designs new technical solutions to improve and/or integrate systems.
- Analyzes, designs, develops, tests, implements and maintains software systems including, but not limited to, client server (object and component based development) and Mobile Device Management, develops and maintains GUI design and development as well as system design and development; participates in special projects.
- Coordinates and improves the application development process. Develops and manages the Microsoft technology strategy, architecture and development plans for CareGroup/BIDMC and is responsible for the current and future development of Desktop Management, Domain Infrastructure, Back-Office Services and Mobile Device Management technologies.
- Evaluates current and emerging technologies, and develops/maintains a rolling 2 to 3 year technology roadmap for the CareGroup/BIDMC desktop computing environment.
- Contributes to the development and integration design of CareGroup/BIDMC technical and business solutions, as well as new technologies that require testing, development and deployment including Windows, Mac OS, IOS, and Linux based systems.
- Evaluates key products, services and suppliers and vendors and contributes to the development of a comprehensive comprehensive strategy for a managed desktop environment based on SCCM and other remote management technologies (current and future).
- Develops, maintains and analyzes performance measurements and metrics that enable identification, reporting and review of the major indicators of quality, effectiveness and success.
- Develops and creates technical requirement definitions, detailed implementation designs and documentation and develops technology standards that are reflective of the overall needs of the CareGroup and BIDMC customer base and ensures their flexibility to meet the changes, growth and evolution of technology.
- Vocational or Technical training required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- 5-8 years related work experience required.
- Five years experience with distributed systems and 3 years experience as NT systems administrator or Desktop Engineer or MCSE with minimum 5 years IS technical experience including LAN/WAN design/management.
- Experience in designing and deploying Microsoft solutions using automated scripting tools.
- Knowledge and experience with System Scripting/Programming. General knowledge with all aspects of Information technology (Network, Server, Desktop, etc)
- Advanced technical computer skills as required for technical support specific to functional area and related systems.
- Leadership qualities; enthusiastic, motivated individual with team building skills to promote increased morale, positive attitude and creativity.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and determines how to accomplish defined results with some guidelines. Manager/Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally