CPD Tech II Certified
Department Description: The Central Processing Department supports 40 operating rooms on two campuses. There are three CPD locations in the Medical Center supporting over 50 internal and external clinics, the procedural departments, and Labor and Delivery.
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 43650BR
Job Summary: Reporting to the supervisor of the Central Processing Department (CPD), the CPD Technician II is responsible for performing a variety of functions from decontamination, to cleaning, inspection, assembly, and sterilization of various instruments and equipment according to the Manufacturers Instructions for Use (IFU) and or Hospital policy.
- Assembles specialty case carts as pick lists require, sends completed case carts to the OR, and returns unused supplies from the OR to proper inventory. Maintains adequate par levels of products both common stock and special order items in a cost-effective manner, rotate stock.
- Utilizes the communication book/board and shift reports as necessary to keep the staff current with changes, updates, etc. Monitors quality assurance of all items ready for sterilization for correct identifications and packaging to insure proper sterilization. Participates in maintaining a clean, healthy work environment and restocks work area supplies as needed.
- Utilizes Instrument Tracking System and Surgical Services Scheduling System (PIMS) as necessary. Assembles instrumentation for sterilization following the set/count instruction sheet. Set must be inspected for function, defects, cleanliness, and overall condition.
- Responsible for the returning of sterile supplies/instrumentation to the appropriate storage space in sterile/case cart assembly area, rotating as necessary. Assists in other areas of the department. Utilizes the communication book/board and shift reports as necessary to keep the staff current with changes, updates, etc.
- Maintains adequate supply levels of sterile stock that is prepared in CPD for the sterile storage/case cart assembly area. Responsible for the monitoring of all sterilization processes that affect the achievement of sterility the mechanical, chemical, and biological as well as procedures for lot control and traceability.
- High School diploma or GED required. Vocational or Technical training in Central Processing Department preferred.
- Certified Registered Central Sterile Technician (CRCST) or Certification Board for sterile processing and distribution. (CBSPD) Must be maintained for employment.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Must pass the hospital Core Competency Test within 3 months of hire.
- Must be able to function in a fast pace environment.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Very Heavy work: Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 50 pounds of force continually. Employee is physically active in all elements of the job.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement