CPD Tech I Certified
Department Description: In CPD, we ensure that our Techs are trained in all areas including decontamination, sterilization, picking case carts, inventory, quality assurance, etc. The Central Processing Department is imperative to our organization and the safety of our patients. All of our Techs are required to carry a current certification and handle the instruments / equipment for 40 ORs, 70 clinics and Labor & Delivery.
The schedule would be Monday - Friday from 3:00 PM - 11:30 PM with rotating weekends required.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 31426BR
Job Summary: Reporting to the supervisor of the Central Processing Department (CPD), the CPD Technician I is responsible for performing a variety of functions from decontamination, to cleaning, inspection, assembly, and sterilization of various instruments and equipment according to the Manufacturers Instructions for Use (IFU) and or Hospital policy. The Technician must be able to assemble carts with the supplies and instrumentation as required by the surgical pick list.
- Assembles general case carts as pick lists require, sends completed case carts to the OR and returns unused supplies from the OR to properly inventory.
- Maintains adequate par levels of products both common stock and special order items - in a cost-effective manner, rotate stock.
- Assembles instrumentation for sterilization following the set count/instruction sheet. Set must be inspected for function, defects, cleanliness and overall condition.
- Performs decontamination procedures according to prescribed specifications in a safe and cost-effective manner. Disassembles instrumentation and processes it according to manufacturer's guidelines.
- Addresses damange/repair of instrumentation upon arrival into decontamination area and reports activities to supervisor/manager.
- High School diploma or GED required. Vocational or Technical training in Central Processing Department preferred.
- License Cert Sterile Tech required., or Registration Cert Sterile Proc required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Must pass the hospital Core Competency Test within 3 months of hire.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Knowledge of hospital, infection control and medical terminology.
- Must be able to function in a fast pace environment.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to understand spoken English in order to follow basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively in basic English with patients, families and medical center staff in response to routine questions.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Very Heavy work: Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 50 pounds of force continually. Employee is physically active in all elements of the job.