Cook - Food Service/Sign on Bonus Eligible
Department Description: This position is eligible for a $500.00 sign on bonus.
• Sign on bonuses are paid out in two payments. You will receive your first payment (half of the total amount) within the first 30 days of employment and is subject to applicable taxes. You will receive the second payment (remaining balance) at six (6) months following your start date and is subject to applicable taxes.
• Full time status at BIDMC is considered for schedules greater than or equal to 30 hours per week; part time status is 20 to 29 hours per week. Please note, per diem employees are not eligible for sign on bonuses.
• Current and Former BILH candidates - restrictions apply. BIDMC Internal employees or employees within the BILH system are not eligible for the bonus or if you have been employed by a BILH entity within the last 12 months.
• Please note, sign on bonuses are subject to change based on the organization’s hiring needs and will be determined by Talent Acquisition on an ongoing basis. BILH/BIDMC Talent Acquisition reserves the right to change sign on bonus eligible jobs and amounts at any time.
The Food Services Department is a dynamic place to work where our top priority is serving high quality, delicious food with caring service. We take pride in feeding our patients, visitors and hospital staff members every day while exhibiting our CARES culture of Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Enthusiasm and Service. We strive to reach high levels of satisfaction and measure this through Press Ganey and retail satisfaction surveys. The department works to continuously improve in all areas of our operation and our frontline team members regularly provide solutions to help us succeed. Ensuring food safety and a safe work environment are a central focus for our team and everyone plays a role in achieving positive results.
The position hours within the department vary but operations begin at 5:30 am and end at 9:00 pm 365 days per year. Weekends and holidays are rotated between all staff and everyone is an essential employee expected to arrive for their shifts during emergency essential situations including inclement weather.
This position requires rotating weekend and holiday availability.
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 41770BR
Job Summary: The Cook produces food products, in accordance with standardized recipes, for sale in the cafeteria, use on the patient trayline or use in catering. This position produces high-volume food products and adheres to standard policies, established production planning system and recording systems as assigned.
- Responsible for hot and cold food production. Follows standardized recipes while preparing soups, salads, entrees, gravies, side dishes, baked goods, desserts, etc. Cuts, slices, dices, measures, mixes, etc. all types of food products according to standardized recipes. Assembles into a useable meal.
- Able to differentiate between a quality and substandard product. Reacts appropriately to a poor product. Presents food in a wholesome and eye appealing manner, using appropriate garnishes. Operates all types of food service equipment (mixers, slicers, vertical cutters, ovens, grills, steamers, fryers, food processors, etc.) safely, including the safe cleaning, sanitizing and equipment storage.
- Organizes, prioritizes and coordinates separate production activities of multiple meal tickets to ensure that all plates meet the standards for quality, temperature and presentation. Gives priority to Diabetic trays and trays that have been in the queue for a longer time.
- Communicates with the starter position for which trays to set up according to the amount of time required to prepare needed food items. Coordinates production activity with other members of the production team working to support the preparation of food from assigned work areas. (Grill, broiler, deli station, Fryer, stove top, Turbo chef).
- Prevents cross contamination of food products. Stores and identifies all food products. Records any unusable or unsafe food and notifies the supervisor. Ensures the maintenance, sanitation, and temperature of food storage areas to meet HACCP standards.
- Some High School required. Vocational or Technical training in Culinary Arts preferred.
- Certificate 1 Serve Safe preferred.
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- Basic math skills (ability to use and calculate measurements).
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Three years food production experience in a high-volume food service establishment.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.