Department Description: The Health Information Management (HIM) Department of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center offers flexible hours, the ability to work from home or onsite, and the panache of working for a world-class medical institution with an interesting and challenging case mix.
Our department offers diverse professional opportunities by interacting and supporting clinical area operations, supporting ongoing training and development of our coding staff, and by our commitment to a work/life approach to business.
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 45647BR
Job Summary: This position is responsible for the assignment of ICD-10-CM diagnosis and ICD-10-PCS/HCPCS procedure codes.
- Reviews the complete electronic and scanned medical record of discharged patients. Assigns ICD-10-CM diagnosis and ICD-10-PCS/HCPCS procedure codes from documentation in the medical record.
- Abstracts coded data and patient information into the coding abstracting system in use by BIDMC (examples of information includes attending physician, surgeon, dates of surgery, disposition, discharge date, and infant birth weight).
- Applies ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting, AHA Coding Clinic Advice when coding inpatient/outpatient records, and facility specific guidelines.
- Sequences the assigned codes using 3M software, exercises all principles of assigning and sequencing ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS / HCPCS codes for comprehensive coding and appropriate DRG assignment or APC assignment.
- Participates in training programs, including educational sessions for ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS/HCPCS coding guidelines and updates. (essential)
- Follows hospital specific guidelines to identify and facilitate prompt resolution of documentation, abstracting and/or other account problems
- Writes appeals for coding audits. Works on special projects.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Registration Registered Health Info Admin required., or Certificate 1 Registered Health Info Tech required., or Certificate 2 Certified Coding Specialist required.
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- Knowledge of ICD-10-CM, ICD-10-CM/PCS, and CPT-4 coding. Knowledge of Medicare, Medicaid and third party coding requirements, including MS-DRGs, APR-DRGs and AP-DRGs
- Knowledge of ICD-10-CM, ICD-10-CM/PCS, and HCPCS coding. Knowledge of Medicare, Medicaid and third party coding requirements, including MS-DRGs, APR-DRGs, AP-DRGs, or APC assignment.
- Ability to code inpatient/outpatient hospital records OR Proven competency of coding all body systems within 6 months from start date (as proven by accuracy reviews).
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
- Basic internet research skills.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.