Department Description: We are seeking a full time Clinical Manager to support the department of Urology.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 32078BR
Job Summary: The Clinical Manager provides administrative and clinical oversight and support to the nurse practitioners and physician' assistants for a medical or surgical specialty service line.
- Functions as a clinical APP responsible for direct patient care to the specialty patient population. Performs and documents preoperative evaluation (history and physical examinations). Orders and interprets diagnostic tests for patients on service.
- Examines and evaluates pre-procedure and post-procedure patients in-hospital settings as well as outpatient settings. Writes orders for medications, therapies and treatments as appropriate for the patient population.
- Performs procedures as directed by the attending physicians or surgeons based upon clinical competency and clinical practice guidelines. Provides first line care for patients in on inpatient units. Adheres to clinical pathways, as appropriate for provision of care.
- Writes admission, transfer and discharge orders including discharge summaries. Acts as a clinical leader on daily rounds and delegates workload to other team members. Participates in monthly morbidity and mortality rounds and grand rounds conferences. Serves as a key member of the service line committees. Prepares cases for presentation.
- Serves as clinical advisor for nursing staff responsible for care of the patient. Collaborates with staff physicians/surgeons and house staff in educating the patients and their families in the medical care of the patient.
- Oversees the development, implementation and coordination of clinical pathways, guidelines and protocols in collaboration with the APPs, nurse managers and physicians of the service units. Maintains and assures that all members of the service team follow patient care protocols.
- Identifies and implements operational and quality program improvements.
- Oversees the entire clinical experience to assure that there is coordination, consolidation and execution of patient care plans through all phases/units of the specialty service.
- Continually updates clinical knowledge and skills through consultation, formal and informal education, and review of literature for self and clinical assistant team.
- Has the authority to direct and support employees daily work activities. Has the direct responsibility to undertake the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: More than 7 Indirect Reports: None
- Has full responsibility for planning, monitoring and managing department budget.
- Master's degree in Nursing or Physician Assistant required.
- License Nurse Practitioner License required., and Certificate 1 Basic Life Support required.
- 8-10 years related work experience required and 1-3 years supervisory/management experience required
- Eight years of experience as a nurse practitioner with at least five years providing clinical services to highly acute patients in a medicine or surgical service.
- Current MA license for Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant is required
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and priorities for functional area. May make recommendations for department policies, practices and programs. Manager or Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate complex information in English effectively in writing to all levels of staff, management and external customers across functional areas.
- Oral Communications: Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate broad and comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex and/or unprecedented situations across multiple functional areas.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to lead operational initiatives to meet or exceed customer service standards and expectations in assigned unit(s) and/or across multiple areas in a timely and respectful manner.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.