Care Connection Coordinator I
Department Description: The Care Connection department connects patients and referring physicians to services between BIDMC inpatient and/or specialty care and ongoing caregivers. By partnering with referring PCPs, specialists and BIDMC departments, the Care Connection staff connects callers rapidly to optimal care – preserving established relationships, building bridges to needed new services – finding the right care, at the right time, in the right place.
A Care Connection Coordinator becomes knowledgeable in provider directory systems, multiple departments at BIDMC and the broader network. Nurses support the team in providing guidance for safe patient transitions for referring physicians and inpatient discharges.
The Department is located in the Renaissance Building next to the Ruggles T stop, and is part of a new centralized call center for Ambulatory Services.
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 42217BR
Job Summary: The Care Connection Coordinator I responds and follows through on all departmental requests as needed, both over the telephone and via email. This position also assists in special projects for the Care Connection call center as services expand and evolve.
- Responds to calls/requests from patients utilizing excellent interviewing skills and a high level of professionalism and courtesy. Provides excellent customer service satisfaction on all levels. Maintains professionally written, accurate and detailed documentation of all phone calls/requests received using a complex call tracking software.
- Answers and replies to a large volume of telephone calls and internet queries from internal and external customers of the Medical Center, utilizing and adhering to department scripts and guidelines for triaging calls/requests.
- Maintains knowledge of multiple systems for completing work, including CCC scheduling, NEHEN, POE and OMR, outside records, CPI tools, work flow tools (E-Centaurus).
- Seeks knowledge of BIDMC's physician services proactively (new providers, procedures, etc.) via marketing communications, the hospital website and department meetings. Researches callers' requests and shares new information with team. Ensures callers' needs are met by following every request through to completion.
- Facilitates multiple specialty appointments for patients in coordination with department schedulers and requesting physicians/providers. Promotes other BIDMC services and programs when appropriate.
- Associate's degree required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- One year in a hospital or medical practice setting.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement