Department Description: Angio Core Lab - CVI
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 31218BR
Job Summary: Performs cardiac ultrasound examinations as ordered by physicians and synthesizes information related to the patients' medical problems.
- Performs M-mode, two dimensional, spectral and color Doppler echocardiograms according to the established laboratory protocol and modified as needed by patient variability; queries each patient or reviews each chart/ or on line medical record for pertinent history. Communicates with reading physicians regarding all echocardiogram findings.
- Determines priority for requested studies and revises schedule as needed to perform urgent outpatient and emergency inpatient studies; recognizes important and life threatening abnormalities on the echocardiogram and calls them to the immediate attention of the director or physicians.
- Instructs cardiac and anesthesia fellows in scanning technique and works with them to complete contrast studies. Identifies patients with echocardiographic findings of importance or uniqueness for the hospital's and medical staff's teaching and research program.
- Monitors supply inventory and notifies manager to re-order; maintains equipment in clean, running order and notifies manager if equipment repair is warranted or if record vault network is malfunctioning
- Assists in training new echocardiography staff and in adapting new techniques to the protocol; instructs techniques of echocardiography performance, utilization and interpretation to fellow, house officers, students and new colleagues.
- Vocational or Technical training required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Certificate 1 Basic Life Support required.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Knowledge of cardiac anatomy, physiology, and pathology either through college level courses in biology and anatomy and/or relevant acquired experience.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Echocaridogram experience.
- RDCS certification.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.