Department Description: The IS Application Developer will be supporting the Emergency Medicine Informatics Division.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 37461BR
Job Summary: An IS Application Developer designs, develops, debugs, tests, and implements small to mid-size clinical applications. She or he must apply strong technical skills while working independently on development projects. The job involves interaction with staff at all organizational levels within and without Information Systems. One performing the job must grasp the workings of the medical center environment and juggle the resulting occasionally conflicting requests in order to meet project goals. The employee reports to a Manager in IS Clinical Research & Development. Prior development experience in a healthcare environment is extremely helpful.
Department Specific Job Responsibilities:
- The ED Application Developer reports to the Director of Emergency Medicine Informatics and interacts with staff at all organizational levels within and outside the Department of Emergency Medicine.
- Must have exceptional computer programming skills and problem solving abilities and must thrive in a fast-paced, agile development environment.
- Analyze, Design, Implement, Test, and Deploy small- to mid-size clinical systems.
- Ensure high availability for critical clinical systems.
- Maintain, Update, and Refactor programming code to adapt to rapidly changing user needs.
- Design, develop, debug, test, and implement small- to mid-size clinical systems
- Design software and data structures to address customer needs
- Collaborate with IS and other Medical Center staff to analyze current state, define requirements, re-engineer processes and estimate timelines in conjunction with IS management
- Provide quality customer service and support for clinical systems, serving as an exemplary representative of Information Systems
- Provide guidance and support to colleagues
- High School diploma or GED required. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Ability to write clear, maintainable, and reusable programming code. Ability to rapidly absorb and apply new technologies.
- Advanced technical computer skills as required for technical support specific to functional area and related systems.
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience. Prior development experience in a healthcare environment is extremely helpful.
- Experience programming in an Agile Development Environment, Python Web Application Frameworks, JQuery, and UI frameworks.
- Eagerness to learn, develop, and deploy emerging technologies. Experience in data analytics and machine learning.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring, requiring staff input, innovative, creative, and Lean diagnostic techniques to resolve issues.
- Independence of Action: Ability to set goals and determines how to accomplish defined results with some guidelines. Manager/Director provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally