Administrative Assistant III - Neurosurgery
Department Description: BIDMC Neurosurgery provides comprehensive, state-of-the-art evaluation, diagnosis, operative and endovascular treatment, and follow-up care for adults with a broad range of conditions affecting the nervous system. Our neurosurgeons, neurosurgical nurse practitioners, and other clinical and support staff work as a team to provide comprehensive, well-coordinated care that offers the best possible outcomes.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 41482BR
Job Summary: Provides administrative support to physicians in their clinical, academic, research and leadership roles.
- Answers and screens telephone calls . Takes accurate messages or directs call to appropriate person. Greets and directs patients, families, visitors and staff. Responds to requests in a timely manner and provides clear, accurate information within scope of knowledge and authority.
- Updates patient demographic and insurance information as necessary and obtains specialist referrals for all patient appointments. Schedules patient appointments utilizing scheduling tools and resources. Coordinates and communicates ancillary appointments and procedures working with other hospital staff as needed.
- Obtains patient information and materials as needed from referral sources. Prepares patient records for clinical activities and maintains patient records for physicians. Acts as liaison with other departments and external customers in a calm and supportive manner. Handles confidential information appropriately and explains policies and procedures when necessary.
- Maintains physician's administrative and clinical calendars. Types correspondence, manuscripts and documents that may require complex formatting. Composes routine correspondence. Transcribes letters and patient notes as needed for physicians and/or facilitates notes and letters in CCC system. Composes routine correspondence. Prepares and distributes materials for meetings and committees.
- Actively assists and supports licensed practitioners by queuing prescriptions for renewal and performing the initial review of medication listings for accuracy in the electronic medical record (Web OMR).
- High School diploma or GED required. Associate's degree preferred.
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement