Administrative Assistant II - Clinical Practice
Department Description: Healthcare Associates (HCA) is a primary care group practice at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center offering comprehensive health services to enhance quality of life for our patients. We provide adolescent, adult, and geriatric care.
Our patients benefit from a team-based approach led by staff physicians who are certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine. Our care team also includes: Internal medicine residents, fellows, certified nurse practitioners and clinical nurses, licensed clinical social workers, community resource specialists, pharmacists, and support personnel.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 38550BR
Job Summary: Provides administrative support to physicians in their clinical practice, academic and research roles.
- Answers and screens telephone calls. Takes accurate messages or directs the call to the appropriate person. Greets and directs patients, families, visitors, and staff. Responds to requests in a timely manner and provides clear, accurate information within the scope of knowledge and authority.
- Updates patient demographic and insurance information as necessary and obtains specialist referrals for all patient appointments. Schedules patient appointments utilizing scheduling tools and resources. Coordinates and communicates ancillary appointments and procedures working with other hospital staff as needed.
- Obtains patient information and materials as needed from referral sources. Prepares patient records for clinical activities and maintains patient records for physicians. Acts as liaison with other departments and external customers in a calm and supportive manner. Handles confidential information appropriately and explains policies and procedures when necessary.
- Collects co-payments from patients at point-of-service. Coordinates billing tickets for office visits and services following established procedures. Forwards all billing fee tickets according to the protocol to billing staff. Reconciles collections at the end of the business day per established protocol.
- Maintains physicians' clinical and administrative schedules and calendars. Types correspondence, manuscripts and/or other documents. Transcribes letters and patient notes as needed for physicians and facilitates in clinical computer systems. Prepares and distributes routine reports.
- High School diploma or GED required. Associate's degree preferred.
- 1-3 years related work experience required.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Healthcare experience.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are based on specific instructions, standard practices and established procedures which generally require little or no supervision.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
Your Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet.