Research Associate, Sr.
Department Description: The lab of Dr. John Asara is seeking a full-time Sr. Research Associate / postdoctoral fellow to study proteomics and its interacting network with metabolism of cancer cells, bodily fluids and tumor samples using state-of-the-art high resolution tandem mass spectrometry to determine the defective signaling pathways driving cancer growth by hypothesis driven approaches to proteomics, metabolomics and lipidomics. The scientist will also interact closely with the core in terms of collaborative projects and instrument operation and maintenance including sample preparation. The candidate should be a biochemist or analytical chemist well-versed in mass spectrometry and HPLC instrumentation. Skills should include sample preparation of proteins and small molecules, stable isotope labeling technologies and data analysis software as well as the ability to operate and troubleshoot mass spectrometry instrumentation such as Orbitraps and QTRAPs.This individual will be primarily responsible for the further development and implementation of new technologies and services related to mass spectrometry based phosphoproteomics, metabolomics and lipidomics. He/she will utilize biochemical and analytical chemical approaches to studying diseases such as cancer, diabetes, etc. from human and mouse models as well as additional organisms including drosophila and equines with the end detection being high resolution and/or targeted mass spectrometry under the direction of Dr. Asara
Job Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Req ID: 42542BR
Job Summary: The Senior Research Associate is responsible for coordinating and overseeing the work of research personnel to implement research schedules and ensure the quality of laboratory procedures. Independently conducts complex technical procedures. Responsible for modification of existing techniques and troubleshooting problems as they arise.
- Coordinates the activities of laboratory research personnel, assigning work to ensure schedules are met and laboratory facilities are efficiently utilized.
- Functions as a principal technical specialist for a research laboratory or for a specific research project. May be used as an internal consultant and function as a resource to other labs both internally and externally. Performs and devises specialized tests and research procedures, troubleshooting problems of own and other researchers results.
- May be involved in the interviewing process of research personnel within the lab and be responsible for writing performance reviews. Coordinates training of research personnel and is available as a resource for technical and administrative issues.
- Performs routine and highly specialized or unique laboratory tests for specific research projects, using sophisticated and intricate research equipment and techniques. Interprets results, performs advanced data analysis and uses advanced statistical techniques.
- Designs research protocols in conjunction with the principal investigator. May develop methodologies and unique testing features. Initiates alternative approaches and modifies existing techniques based on evaluation of research data. Collaborates with principal investigator in writing and editing publications. Presents papers.
- Bachelor's degree in Life Sciences or related scientific field required. Master's degree preferred.
- 5-8 years related work experience required.
- Bachelor's degree and five years' progressively more responsibil experience. Or, a Master's degree and five years experience.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by precedents, policies and objectives. Regularly makes decisions and recommendations on issues affecting a department or functional area.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to act as a team leader for small projects or work groups, creating a collaborative and respectful team environment and improving workflows. Results may impact the operations of one or more departments.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATIONVaccines
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. BILH requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more about this requirement