Flow Cytometry Tech I
Department Description: This is a position within the Flow Cytometry Core Facility at BIDMC.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 27694BR
Job Summary: Operates and maintains flow cytometry instrumentation under supervision and is expected to identify equipment malfunctions and/or adjustments as needed to ensure the highest quality of operation as possible. Excellent collaborative and interpersonal skills required to assist multiple professionals including Principal Investigators, Research Fellows and Graduate Students.
- Operates and maintains flow cytometry instrumentation under supervision and is expected to identify equipment malfunctions and/or adjustments as needed to ensure the highest quality of operation as possible.
- Ability to assist in scheduling and billing of flow cytometry instrument usage; and maintenance of all supplies and materials
- Perform daily and weekly quality control checks on the flow cyclometer.
- Perform routine laboratory duties including ordering of lab supplies, general lab upkeep, disposal of laboratory waste, and minor maintenance of laboratory equipment, including monthly cleaning protocols.
- Attends Medical Center lectures regarding all safety requirements/conditions.
- Bachelor's degree in Biology or related field required.
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Sufficient knowledge of cell biology, and the mathematics, statistics, computer hardware and software involved to operate the system, analyze the data and apply and design experimental methods for research studies.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
- Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
- Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.