Professional and Management
At Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, we’re committed to making a difference in the lives of the patients who count on us to deliver the highest quality of care. As a teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School and preeminent academic research center, we have assembled outstanding surgical and clinical expertise, designed a state-of-the-art trauma center, utilized innovative training and research methods, and leveraged leading technologies all to support exceptional patient care. With a Professional job at BIDMC, you’ll play a key role in a community where we treat our patients with the utmost respect and compassion, like our own family members and friends. This is how we make a difference in our patients’ lives, each and every day. Join us and define what a Professional career at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is to you.
Information Specialist Knowledge Services
Department Description: Knowledge Services is a division of Information Systems. We are responsible for providing access to all of the knowledge-based information resources to the Medical Center. This includes all e-journals, drug information, EBM resources, etc. We also provide training and guidance to staff and students in utilizing our resources for patient care, teaching and research. Finally, we perform certain knowledge management (KM) functions for the organization.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 7378BR
Job Summary: The Information Specialist - Knowledge Services reports to the Director of Knowledge Services. This position provides evidence based information, including high-level, in-depth reference service and instruction, to Medical Center staff and students.
- Provides high-level reference service and user instruction, both in person and remotely. Creates instructions, course outlines and other support materials for use by Medical Center staff and students. Provides urgent patient care information services on demand.
- Maintains both electronic and print knowledge-based information resources. Maintains electronic access points and trouble-shoots problems. Maintains online catalog. Designs and maintains electronic journal and book A-Z database. Designs and maintains Knowledge Services website
- Evaluates and provides input on print and electronic resources for inclusion in the Knowledge Services collections. Negotiates with vendors on pricing and licensing terms. Stays informed on publication and industry changes. Orders and catalogs materials for collections.
- Electronically transmits articles from BIDMC/HMS databases and collections to BIDMC staff and trainees. Seeks out and participates in consortial and reciprocal lending arrangements with other institutions. Installs and maintains a database of all document delivery activity and provides reports upon demand.
- Indexes course materials, assigning MeSH terms to each document, including lecture notes, handouts, images PowerPoint presentations, articles, reports and videos.
- Master's degree required in Library Science, Information Science.
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- Two to three years professional experience in library/information science in a scientific/medical setting.
- Proficiency in biomedical information databases and end-user search systems, including PubMed, CINAHL, NCBI and MEDLARS databases.
- Working knowledge of NLM classification, MESH, DOCLINE, Serhold and QuickDOC.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Strong instructional skills with all levels of teaching (beginning to advanced).
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
- BLS\ACLS Instructor - Boston, MA
- Genetic Counselor Hematology Oncology - Boston, MA
- Patient Rights Clinician (RN) - Boston, MA
- QI Project Manager HCQ Critical Care Quality - Boston, MA
- Reimbursement Program Director - Boston, MA
- Biostatistician I Cardiovascular - Boston, MA
- Sr Research Compliance Specialist Office of Compliance & Business Conduct - Boston, MA
- Compliance Analyst - Medford, MA
- Director of Corporate Compliance - Boston, MA
- Project Manager IS Support Services - Boston, MA
Watch our videos to hear from our BIDMC employees about what it's like to work in different departments throughout the organization.