Professional and Management
At Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, we’re committed to making a difference in the lives of the patients who count on us to deliver the highest quality of care. As a teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School and preeminent academic research center, we have assembled outstanding surgical and clinical expertise, designed a state-of-the-art trauma center, utilized innovative training and research methods, and leveraged leading technologies all to support exceptional patient care. With a Professional job at BIDMC, you’ll play a key role in a community where we treat our patients with the utmost respect and compassion, like our own family members and friends. This is how we make a difference in our patients’ lives, each and every day. Join us and define what a Professional career at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is to you.
Supv Clinical Pastoral Ed
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 3461BR
Department: Clinical Pastoral Education
Employment Status: Full Time
The Department of Pastoral Care and Education attends to the spiritual, emotional, and psychological well-being of all patients, their families, staff, and employees of the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center utilizing the best professional knowledge and skills available in the areas of pastoral care and counseling. As a leader in the field of Pastoral Care, the Department provides ongoing educational and training programs including Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) that support its position as a fully integrated clinical service within the Medical Center as well as its responsibility to generate future generations of pastoral care professionals.
Job Summary: The Clinical Pastoral Education Supervisor is responsible for the administration, ongoing curriculum development, didactic presentations and all other education aspects for Level I & II students. Provides skilled, structured, regularly scheduled individual and group supervision to students. Creates a positive, appropriately challenging and safe learning environment for students.Provides direct pastoral care and consultation for patients and families as needed. Represents pastoral Care on hospital committees and in the wider community, Develops and maintains professional relationships with staff, seminaries, colleague groups and clergy. Represents BIDMC at local, regional and national CPE conferences.
- Plans, coordinates and manages CPE units, including orientation of new students. Supervises all administrative aspects of the CPE program including updating of policies and procedures according to ACPE standards. Provides clear expectations for all student assignments and schedules.
- Conducts in-service trainings for staff; collaborates with other departments regarding Pastoral Care Services and integration of CPE students.
- Functions as a member of the interfaith chaplaincy team and maintains a close working relationship.
- Recruits, screens and interviews top quality graduate and post graduate students from seminaries and pastoral care programs throughout the United States.
- Implements creative and structured programing teaching students from diverse theological, personal and cultural backgrounds.
- Has the authority to direct and support employees daily work activities. Has the direct responsibility to undertake the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: More than 7 Indirect Reports: 1-5
- Assists in planning, monitoring and/or managing budget in functional area of department.
- Master's degree required in Divinity.
- Certificate 1 required: Assoc. of Clinical Pastoral Ed
- 3-5 years related work experience required and 1-3 years supervisory/management experience required
- Ordination and/or Ecclesiastical Endorsement & Board Certification
- Experience working with staff and students. Teaching experience with adult students.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
- Ability to work with families, patients and staff in trauma.
- Model appropriate pastoral behavior and boundry setting.
Age based Competencies:
- Written Communications: Ability to communicate complex information in English effectively in writing to all levels of staff, management and external customers across functional areas.
- Oral Communications: Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate broad and comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex and/or unprecedented situations across multiple functional areas.
- Team Work: Ability to lead collaborative teams for larger projects or groups both internal and external to the Medical Center and across functional areas. Results have implications for the management and operations of multiple areas of the organization.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
- Infection Control Practitioner - Boston, MA
- Regulatory Specialist - Boston, MA
- Manager Plant Engineering - Boston, MA
- Clinical Manager Mid Level Practice (PA NP) - Boston, MA
- Biostatistician I - Boston, MA
- Conflict of Interest Specialist Office of Compliance & Business Conduct - Boston, MA
- Clinical Supervisor Pathology - Boston, MA
- Division Manager HMFP VASCULAR - Boston, MA
- QI Project Manager HCQ Inpatient Quality - Boston, MA
- Referral Specialist - Boston, MA
Watch our videos to hear from our BIDMC employees about what it's like to work in different departments throughout the organization.