As members of one of the largest and busiest labs in Boston, our technologists are exposed to the widest array of testing in a fast-paced, high-volume environment. At BIDMC, you’ll find a rewarding Laboratory career working within highly automated, state-of-the-art facilities, gaining experience with unique cases that can be found nowhere else. Our world-renowned pathologists are dedicated to providing expert interpretation of tissue samples and the subtle nuances that aid in making accurate diagnoses. With a Laboratory job at BIDMC, you’ll be an integral part of a community where we treat our patients with the utmost respect and compassion, like our own family members and friends. This is how we make a difference in our patients’ lives, each and every day. Join us and define what a Laboratory career at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is to you.
Department Description: The Department of Pathology is integrally involved with the diagnosis of cancer and other major medical conditions through the gross and microscopic examination of tissue samples obtained from surgical procedures and endoscopy (Anatomic Pathology). Our department also provides clinical laboratory services to the hospital as well as consult services in the areas of clinical chemistry, hematopathology, microbiology, and transfusion medicine (Clinical Pathology). This is an 8 hour per week on Saturdays and Sundays from 5.30am to 9.30am ever weekend with holidays required as well. This position requires the phlebotomist to verify patients, draw blood, label blood correctly and tube to the laboratory.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 14222BR
Job Summary: Phlebotomists performs phlebotomy services on all patients at BIDMC. This person obtains patient identification and maintains vein preservation and specimen labeling procedures. A Phlebotomist transports routine and STAT specimens to appropriate laboratories.
- Perform venipunctures, including blood culture collection, and fingersticks ensuring proper ID/labeling of specimens and using vein preservation techniques.
- Perform and report bleeding times according to standard operating procedures.
- Ensure adequate stocking of supplies and report needs to phlebotomy leaders.
- Transports specimen from site of collection to site of testing.
- Participates in laboratory programs for QA, competency, mandatory training and continuing education.
- High School diploma or GED required .
- Registration preferred: ASCP Registered,Certificate 1 preferred: NCA Certification
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
Physical Nature of the Job:
- Written Communications: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
- Oral Communications: Ability to understand spoken English in order to follow basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively in basic English with patients, families and medical center staff in response to routine questions.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
- Team Work: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus