Health Information Mgt Systems
At Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, we’re committed to making a difference in the lives of the patients who count on us to deliver the highest quality of care. As a teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School and preeminent academic research center, we have assembled outstanding surgical and clinical expertise, designed a state-of-the-art trauma center, utilized innovative training and research methods, and leveraged leading technologies all to support exceptional patient care. With a Health Information Management Systems
job at BIDMC, you’ll be an integral part of a community where we treat our patients with the utmost respect and compassion, like our own family members and friends. This is how we make a difference in our patients’ lives, each and every day. Join us and define what a Health Information Management Systems career at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is to you.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 3872BR
Department: Department of Surgery, Revenue Cycle
Employment Status: Full Time
Shift: Regular Day
The Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, a flagship teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School, is known for its exemplary patient care, conducting leading-edge clinical and basic science research, and supporting outstanding educational programs.
Within the Roberta and Stephen R. Weiner Department of Surgery, the surgical residencies are the heart of the Department. We provide a well-structured clinical curriculum supervised by an outstanding faculty. In addition, we have created a multitude of opportunities for experience and training in basic research, both in the medical center and in the Medical School quadrangle.
Our unique and extensive set of resources, complemented by a highly accomplished and committed faculty, create a fertile milieu in which talented residents can achieve their maximum potential.
Job Summary: Analyzes patient records and physician notes to ensure that all procedures and services have been accurately captured and coded for physician billing. Applies knowledge of current medical coding to ensure compliance for reimbursement.
- Collects billing documents from patient care locations. Ensures that diagnosis, procedure codes and modifiers are recorded. Reviews provider schedules to ensure that all documents have been submitted.
- Examines medical record to determine that billing data is accurately coded and complete. Returns and tracks incomplete records to physicians and other providers for timely completion. Prints daily reports of records entered, records pending and missing elements. Ensures that missing elements are resolved.
- Assigns an accurate code for each procedure in the medical record. Documents all adjunct procedures and modifiers. Reviews documentation and codes to ensure appropriate capture of all billable services. Enters charge data into billing system.
- Applies working knowledge of Evaluation and Management coding for inpatient and outpatient. Maintains understanding of categories and subcategories of the E&M services and CPT codes for inpatient & outpatient billing.
- Educates physician support staff with current billing/coding/insurance guidelines for proper billing and referral processing. Acts as a liaison between the physicians, the billing service, insurance carriers and/or patients to resolve outstanding issues. Works on special billing projects as requested.
- High School diploma or GED required .
- Certificate 1 required: Certified Professional Coder
- 3-5 years related work experience required.
- Knowledge of anatomy, physiology, medical and surgical terminology.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- 2+ years medical coding experience.
- Written Communications:Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications:Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge:Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
- Team Work:Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service:Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally
Watch our videos to hear from our BIDMC employees about what it's like to work in different departments throughout the organization.